Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Our new town and Christmas cookies

Since my last post was kind of a whirl-wind of updates, I thought I'd give a little more details about this new town that we call home!  Jeremy says Texas will always be home and while I agree, I'm good with calling Oklahoma our new "home" for now...

Here's some factual data about Duncan, OK if you are interested...I'll give you the low-down!  Although the population of Duncan is around 23k vs Lindale's 5k or so, it is a very old town.  There are no chain restaurants and no chain department stores...except Wal-Mart!  You know I couldn't live in a town that doesn't have a WM!!  Luckily we are close to it since I've been there EVERY day since we moved.  I told Jeremy the other day that I'm actually TIRED of going at this point :/  If I was going to buy stuff I want in stead of things we need it would be different...I think.

Anyway, I would say this town is about 10 years behind in their way of life.  There's not much that is on-line and most everything has to be done in person.  The school has been the biggest adjustment for me so far.  There are 4 elementary schools in the town and they are all k-5.  I'm super excited that they are on the same campus for once!!  There are about 400 kids per school and each grade has 3 classes.  Definitely a lot smaller scale than what the kids are used to!  The schools here are what they call "neighborhood" schools.  They have a bike rack and kids actually RIDE their bikes to school!?!?  Can you TX folks believe that??  I'm gonna take a pic and post on here!  There are no car tags, as long as their teacher recognizes you, you are good to go.  The car line is similar to Lindale's, but after the first 2 days I watched other parents and now I just park on a side street and walk up to get them.  They have made friends super fast and seem to be adjusting well! 

I told someone today that I've enjoyed being off and getting the house situated and making sure the kids got adjusted and doing all the things required when moving to a different state (car insurance, registering vehicle, etc!)  However, momma is ready to find some friends and is anxiously looking for a j-o-b!!  It's sooooo weird to go in places and not know a SINGLE soul!  I almost want to just say, "Hi I'm new, anyone wanna be my friend??"  LOL

In other exciting news, momma got a new vehicle!!!  Beyond excited and thankful :)  It's a 2008 Ford Expedition!  I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them for y'all!  I'm like a 2 year old...I was plain giddy the other day walking out of Wal-Mart and opening the back door with my remote!! 

Today the kids and I baked some Christmas cookies.  Other than their shapes, there is not much that's original about them, but they had fun and that's all that matters, right??  I keep telling myself that as I clean up their mess...and I did the floors today so I'm way anal about stuff getting on them.  Did I mention that my kids are as messy as they were when they were toddlers eating in a high chair???  I thought that would get better with age, but no such luck!

Here's some pics of our cookies :)


Flour, flour everywhere!!!!




Me and my girl :)







And the finished product :)  Not typical, but it worked for them!!




Tomorrow I will have pics of the downtown area (soooo neat) and my new ride!  Hope everyone is enjoying my blog :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment